Wednesday 19 April 2017

P is for Poetry, Petra and Pottery #atozchallenge

It comes in so many shapes: 
poems, hymns, couplets, songs
birds, roses and dandelions
sips of tea and
whiffs of coffee
poetry is you
and
poetry is me.

When I step outside and see the world
I wonder
how different we'd be
if we all read
more poetry.

Before I get all carried away and dissolve in the flow of my own words, as I usually do, when I pretend to be a poet and write poetry (Ha! Ha! laughs the ego), I'll stop. And explain today's choices for P. There were too many. Some churned out painful memories. So I made my tea, plugged in the charger cable, pushed the on button on the laptop and sat and stared at the blank page on my screen.

My heart's not in it today, I thought. I'll use an old post and add an apology, I thought. Then I spotted him.
*****
Rumi lives on my kitchen table, bound in red, next to my laptop. I pour my cup of tulsi chai, pull out my chair and he opens up. The decision on what's to be read with sips of tea and nibbles of crackers is arbitrary. Somehow, he knows the words I'd need to keep me company. Somehow, he opens to the right lines. Somehow, this happens almost every morning.
THE GUEST HOUSE 
This being human is a guest house.
Every morning is a new arrival.

A joy, a depression, a meanness,
some momentary awareness comes
as an unexpected visitor.

Welcome and entertain them all!
Even if they're a crowd of sorrows,
who violently sweep your house
empty of its furniture,
still, treat each guest honorably.
He may be clearing you out
for some new delight.

The dark thought, the shame, the malice,
meet them at the door laughing,
and invite them in.

Be grateful for whoever comes,
because each has been sent
as a guide from beyond.
The above comes from
The Essential Rumi
by
Coleman Barks
And if you're a bit out of sorts today
like me
not in mood for poetry
unlike me
then come along and gaze
at some photography
What will it be-
Petra or Phini?
Just click on the link 
on top of the pic
and it'll take you
where you choose to be
your choice:
meet a woman potter
or
be one with human history




Que sera, sera
whatever will be, will be...

22 comments:

  1. We should all read more poetry! I like your photos.

    http://sagecoveredhills.blogspot.com/2017/04/p-is-for-perseus.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Petra looks amazing. And thanks for the bonus poetry I wouldn't have read if you hadn't stopped by my blog.

    Phillip | P is for Paper Bags

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like your honesty Peter. Petra is amazing.

      Delete
  3. I enjoy reading and writing poetry (though I am no poet). I enjoyed yours ad the images you chose to share.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Petra, Poetry, Pottery all great choices for P-day, and Rumi is a Phenomenal choice any day :)

    Best wishes,
    Nilanjana.
    Madly-in-Verse

    ReplyDelete
  5. I let your words and photos lead me to far away places. It is a welcome trip. Thank you, Arti. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How wonderful it feels to have your company:)
      Thank you Sue.

      Delete
  6. Oh, how I want to see Petra!
    AND Phini pottery.
    As always, delights to the eyes. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I chose Petra: how beautiful, how old and how colorful! Love The Guest House!
    Perspectives at Life & Faith in Caneyhead

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love The Guest House too:) and yes, Petra is stunning.

      Delete
  8. Isn't it wonderful how life can flow through you, if you let it. Rumi answers your call, if you are listening.

    Affirmations for a Good Life

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh was a delightful pause in my day to be here exploring the gifts of your post. I, too, wonder how different everything would be if we all read more poetry.

    The Rumi words that chose you today are perfect.

    I visited your Petra post and was amazed and then the beautiful goddess potter, and now my heart is full with joy. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Deborah. Your joy spills out and makes me happy too:)

      Delete
  10. Thank you for posting even if you didn't feel like it, it lifted me up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad to hear it:) Cheers for visiting.

      Delete
  11. Lovely photos of Petra. I've been wanting to go! On my bucket list! Also, I have the same copy of Rumi by Coleman Barks. It's on loan to a friend. Thanks for stopping by my blog during A-Z. Yes, the "pillbox" or WWII bunker is repainted, all the time. I just followed your blog - it'll be easier to visit during the challenge. Maui Jungalow

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you. Please leave your thoughts and comments here.